30. Europe & America, 1800-1870
Slide Assignments (Ch 30)
Chapter 30 Art Cards
Chapter 30 Art Sheets
Chapter 30 Guide
Supplemental Reading for Ch 30:
Romanticism to Realism (from The Visual Arts: A History 4th ed.)
Answer the following from the reading:
- The article states that "art based on the optimism of the Enlightenment...could not long survive… " Describe why.
- Describe some of the political, philosophical, and social changes that were occurring at the time. (From the intro of the article.)
- How do the authors of the article describe Romanticism and its origin?
- Discuss how Constable, Friedrich, and Baudelaire support or refute they authors description of Romanticism.
- What is juste milieu? How does The Execution of Lady Jane Grey by Delaroche exemplify this?
- Discuss the Pre-Raphaelite Brotherhood.
- Describe Realism and how Courbet's Burial at Ornans exemplifies the movement.
- How is Millet similar and different in style and theme to Courbet?
Is Photography Art?
Watch the Crash Course on the French Revolution